Here's a chronological resume sample for a Financial Editor who has solid experience as a contract writer for several financial publications. Notice how his resume handles his contractual work history so that it fits with the professional image he needs to present. In his cover letter (see Sample Cover Letter for a Financial Editor) he specifically asks for a contractual position.
About This Resume for a Financial Editor
Roger (not his real name) wants to continue his career as a Financial Editor and he's hoping to find a contractual position. Here are some of the most interesting points about his resume.
- Professional title. By placing his professional title, Financial Editor, near the top of his page, Roger presents himself with confidence. This also adds a sense of stability to his professional image since he has contractual positions listed in his Professional Experience section.
- Personal pronouns. I like the way Roger uses the personal pronouns "I" and "my" in three of his resume statements. Can you find all three? It's not common to use first-person pronouns in resume writing, but Roger pulls it off in a way that adds a "real" tone to his resume.
- Testimonial. Roger tells a story in the last statement under his most recent job title.
- Currently unemployed. Roger's last assignment was in 2013. Even though that was more than a year before he wrote this resume, he decided not to fill his current gap in employment. He's following my "When is a Good Resume Like Swiss Cheese?" tip. I advised him to fill that gap on his resume if he doesn't find a new job by the end of 2015.
- Education. There are two things to note about how Roger listed his college degree. He didn't state his year of graduation because he didn't want to trigger age discrimination. He also didn't declare his Bachelor's degree major because it wasn't relevant to his job objective. "Bachelor of Science" tells his reader that it was a degree based on facts and numbers. That's relevant!
- Language skills explained. At the end of his resume, Roger put his Languages section. To be sure his employer understood the full value his language skills bring to the table, he wrote, "This is the primary reason for my deep understanding of language structure." Nice touch!
From the Collection of Resume Examples
Roger's resume and many of the other resume examples in our collection were created using professional resume templates from my Ready-Made Resume Builder.