Here's a combination resume sample for a Certified Medical Coder who has almost completed her medical coding apprenticeship. This is a career change for Sarah, so she chose the combination resume format in order to highlight her skills and downplay her lack of experience. And, because her certification and master's degree are key qualifiers for her new profession, she placed her Certification and Education sections near the top of page one.
Two Formats for This Combination Resume for Medical Coder
On this page, you'll see two formats of the same resume for a Certified Medical Coder: image file and web format.
Resume Image File
This resume image file shows the design elements (such as indents, bold, horizontal lines, and font) of the resume that was sent to the employer. On some devices the words may be too small to read. If that's true for you, please move on to the web format below.
Resume Web Format
Here's the web format of the same resume. Web format means that the resume format is created using the tools for creating a website page, in this case, WordPress. The web format makes the resume contents easier to read on our website, especially on small screens such as a phone or tablet.
144 Joshua Ave. 3D, Marion OH 12345
123-555-5555 email@example.com linkedin.com/in/sckytfdw
Apprenticeship near completion
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Experienced information professional with 20+-year track record of delivering accurate analysis under tight deadlines. Poised to step into the position of medical coder.
- Strong command of ICD-10-CM, CPT 4, HCPCS, modifiers, CMS compliance, and regulatory and reimbursement guidelines. Familiarity with ICD-10-PCS.
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology.
- Solid understanding of the billing revenue cycle; continuously update my knowledge of transition to and implementation of new payment systems; i.e., MACRA, MIPS, and APMs.
CERTIFICATION & TRAINING
CPC-A, Certified Professional Coder, March 2017
KSWQ Learning Excellence, Columbus, OH, 2015-present
Relevant Coursework: Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Coding
Training: CPC, Online Evaluation and Management Training, 2017 MACRA APM and MIPS Proficiency Training
Master of Library and Information Science, 1992
Reems Institute, Columbus, NY
Bachelor of Arts, English and Rhetoric, 1984
Ohio State University, Lima, OH
Practicode – KSWQ Learning Excellence, Marion, OH, 2015-present
- Using EHR software, perform hands-on coding of actual, redacted patient charts to determine accurate diagnoses and procedures. Assign appropriate ICD-10-CM, CPT-4, and HCPCS codes following both CMS services and private payer guidelines.
- Upon completion, "Apprentice" designation will be removed from CPC certification, representing a full year of coding experience.
Buckeye Magazine, Lima, OH, 1992-2014
Sr. Research Librarian and Fact Checker
Analysis and Research
- Verified and confirmed factual content for leading weekly magazine with 24+ million readership, providing primary and supporting research.
- Annotated and input documents with corrections and constructive comments to clarify and improve accuracy.
- Carefully evaluated reliability of sources; worked closely with legal team on a weekly basis to reduce liability risk.
- Utilized extensive knowledge of search strategies including Boolean operators and keywords to extract corroborative information from a wide variety of digital sources.
- Created file systems that streamlined the fact-checking process including collecting and accessing admission fees information for Buckeye’s most popular yearly feature, “Great Ohio Adventures.”
Interpersonal, Written, and Verbal Communication
- Communicated concerns with staff effectively, clearly, and in a timely manner, always remaining mindful of deadlines.
- Assisted and instructed staff on the use of research databases and intranet catalogs.
- Handled delicate personal information with sensitivity and tact.
- Demonstrated patience and professionalism. Not easily flustered by difficult contacts or circumstances.
- Maintained same high standards for accuracy and efficiency regardless of increases or decreases to workload:
- Fact-checked half the content of a typically 32-page weekly issue, including at least one feature and several columns.
- Ancillary projects included sister publication, Our State, and extended web features.
Member, Medical Libraries Association
Member, Special Libraries Association
OTHER RELEVANT SKILLS
Proficient in MS Office applications including MS Word and Excel; Typing: 30-40 WPM
About This Resume Sample
This and many of the other resume examples on this site were created using professional resume templates from my Ready-Made Resume Builder. After using the resume builder, the job seeker sent the resume to be reviewed by a member of Susan Ireland's Resume Team.