Here's a sample cover letter for an experienced sales/marketing professional, Marie, who is sending her resume to an IT firm. The job she seeks is Vice President of Sales. Marie is currently unemployed, a fact that she is hoping will play in her favor since the employer is in dire need of filling the VP of Sales position at his firm.
To get a feel for Marie's whole job search packet, see the resume she sent with this cover letter and the job reference sheet she prepared for her interview with Mr. Bhdxn.
- Chronological Resume Sample for VP of Sales & Marketing or VP of Sales & Operations
- Sample Job Reference Sheet That's a Mini-Resume for Sales VP
Cover Letter Sample for Vice President of Sales
123 Creak Road
Albany, NY 12345
January 5, 20xx
Mr. Roger Bhdxn
IT ScaleUp, Inc.
465 Anchor Ave.
Ithaca, NY 12345
Dear Mr. Bhdxn,
In a recent conversation with Lance Wvhgq, I learned that you are conducting a search for a new VP of Sales. Lance is a longtime colleague of mine from the IT Association who, I believe, also knows you through my previous employer, OptiBand.
As we enter the first quarter of the new year, I am prepared to put all my energy into your new business development program, which I understand has been very successful to date. I have experience using a similar methodology at OptiBand, where we achieved significant increases in market share, both regionally and nationally.
Here are a few of my achievements from my last three positions:
- At OptiBand, built a 187-person sales organization operating at 184% of plan year-to-date, compared to a $40M booking target for a Griffin Henley-founded startup providing communication services to commercial accounts.
- At Brotherhood Investment Group, collaboratively established a telecommunications organization that operated profitably at $50M per year, billing 6,000 sites in 41 cities.
- At Capital Investors, attained 300% of planned sales in the first year, 600% in the second year, and 725% in the third.
I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss IT ScaleUp's sales goals for this and the next five years. I am available for an interview at your convenience. I look forward to your call.
Enclosure: Resume for Vice President of Sales