Does having the best resume format really matter? You bet it does! A good resume format makes it easy for an employer to see — in a few red-hot seconds — that you have the qualifications to do the job — and will do it well!
What You Need to Know About Resume Formats
The best resume format for one job seeker may not be the best one for you. It all depends on your job search, your work history, and what you have to offer. So that's why it's smart to be in the know about your resume format options and understand what resume formats employers like (and don't like).
This is an index page of the best resume format articles, templates, and samples. Whether this is the first time you've needed to format a resume, or you're an old hand at it, you're in the right place. You're bound to find something to help make your resume at least a little, and maybe even a whole lot better.
So take your time as you...
- Learn about the three most common resume formats (chronological resume format, functional resume format, and combination resume format).
- Browse through a bunch of resume samples in each of the three resume formats.
- Take a look at good resume format templates.
- Read some good resume formatting tips that can put your resume ahead of the pack.
Just click on a topic below, browse, and find articles I hope will help!
How to Format a Resume
Choosing your resume format is one of the first things you'll do when writing your resume. So poke around in this section to learn the pros and cons of your resume formatting options.
- How to Choose The Best Resume Format
- Chronological Resume Format Template
- Functional Resume Format Template
- Combination Resume Format Template
- What's the Top Resume Format?
Resume Format Examples
It's good to learn by example, in this case, resume format examples. So I put each of the resume samples on this site into one of three groups, according to its resume format. Take a look...
- Lots of Sample Resumes by Format
- Chronological Resume Format Samples
- Functional Resume Format Samples
- Combination Resume Format Samples
Professional Resume Formatting Tips
You'll find answers to the most common resume format questions in this set of resume formatting articles. Pick a topic and click!
- 4 Reasons Not to Use a Functional Resume Format
You may have heard that the functional resume format can solve your work history problems. I'll explain why that is not good resume advice, and give you some much better ways to fix your problems using a resume format employers really like.
- Sample Resume Format: I Did More Than My Job Required
A great article about how the combination resume format can move you up the career ladder. By putting skill headings in your work history, you show that you have more value than what your job title alone can say.
- What Resume Format is Best for an Email Attachment?
If you're going to email it to an employer, be sure you use the right resume formatting so it can be opened, read, and entered into a resume database system.
- Is My Chronological Resume Format Hurting Me?
How to handle dates in a chronological resume format so your spans of unemployment don't hurt your chance of getting a job.
- Warning! Don't Use a Resume Template That Has Tables
You may be surprised to read the reasons it's bad resume formatting to use tables in your resume template.
- How Long is Your Resume Format? (How Long Should It Be?)
Here's my rule of thumb for how long a resume format should be, along with some survey results of how long most job seekers' resume formats are.
Download Resume Formats
You can access 150 resume formats/resume templates by signing up for my Ready-Made Resume program. This resume builder will help you figure out what resume format is best for you, based on your work history and your job objective.
These are the same resume templates I created and used to help thousands of job seekers over the last 20 or so years. The templates are in Word and have answers to your resume problems built right into each line. My goal: To make you feel as if I'm sitting at your elbow as you open a resume template and write your resume.