Convert your hardcopy resume to Plain Text as explained in Step 1 of Posting Resumes Online. For your convenience, I'll summarize those instructions here.
MS Word 2007
- Open your resume document in MS Word.
- Click the Office button, select Save As, and choose Other Formats.
- A window will appear on your screen. Type in a new name in the File Name field, such as "ResPlainText."
- In the Save As Type pull-down menu, select "Plain Text (*.txt)."
- Click Save.
- A File Conversion window will pop up, Click OK and do not change any of the settings.
If you're using an earlier version of Word, please see my instructions for converting hardcopy to Plain Text in MS Word 97-2003.
After creating your resume as Plain Text, what appears in your document window is your resume stripped of any fancy formatting. On the next page, you'll learn how to adjust your Plain Text resume to make it look easier to read.