Sample Resume for a Job as Software Engineer / Programmer:
This self-employed/unemployed professional is determined to stay in the same field as he now looks for full-time employment with a company. Note how he handled the name change of a former employer (top of page two) and how he includes his military service at the end of page two. Chronological resume. Plain Text version of this resume for posting online.
This resume was written or critiqued by a member of Susan Ireland's Resume Team. The job seeker agreed to allow us to make his or her resume anonymous and to post it on this website.
123 Fourth Avenue
Pillsbury, ND 12345
OBJECTIVE: Software Engineer / Programmer
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Software Developer/Programmer with history of productivity and successful project outcomes.
- Specialist in the development of microprocessor-based firmware and software for hardware processes/hardware control in real-time, embedded environments.
- Adaptable and proficient in the design and programming of systems in wide variety of areas.
Applications: Material Handling, Embedded Systems, Firmware, Process Control, Warehouse Automation, Product Sortation, Real-time, Document Scanning, OCR, Image processing
APIs/Tools: Accusoft ImageGear, Mitek QuickStrokes, NCR WiseIP, Microsoft Visual Studio, GNU Emacs
Operating Systems: Windows NT (Win32), Windows 98/95/3.1, UNIX (SunOS/Solaris, HPUX, ATT), MSDos, SPOX, Psos, VxWorks
Networking: TCP/IP, FTP, HTTP, HTML, XML
Periwinkle Technologies, Plymouth, ND, 2004 to present
PROGRAMMER / CONSULTANT
- Designed and developed OCR adjustment application on MS Windows NT platform utilizing C++ 6.0 and Accusoft's ImageGear tool kit. This application allows high-speed scanning operators to easily correct OCR engine's configuration parameters for NCR 7780 check transports.
- Created Java application to generate HTML listings of architectural drawings for online selection by client engineering company. Wrote corresponding utility to access ZIP files from secure web site, download files, and decompress them for printing by web-based reprographics application.
- Developed several Solaris (UNIX) C++ daemons that interface with high-speed OPEX-150 mail opening and extraction machine.
- Developed Solaris (UNIX) C++ process that formats data for and interfaces with Mobius ViewDirect archive system.
Primo Technologies, North Point, ND (formerly PI Corporation), 1985 to 2004
- Wrote primary front-end application for PrimoVision( system that controlled high-speed NCR document scanners under IBM OS/2. Designed and implemented scanner operator screens, and file formats and protocols for transferring batch data to other systems for processing.
- Converted scanner platform of PrimoVision from IBM OS/2 to Microsoft NT. Continued to work on RemitVision over life of project as its capabilities and applications were expanded and enhanced.
- Developed Primosort(, a software system for control of conveyor belts and item tracking using proprietary hardware. Performed customization and onsite installation of Primosort system at various client locations including airline terminals, distribution centers, and a meat-packing plant.
- Within PrimoPick( system, developed original firmware to run display modules (microprocessors located throughout warehouse facilities) designed for workers' use in filling orders from the floor and communicating status back to a central computer. Designed networking protocol and developed drivers for network communications within system.
- Enhanced, refined, and customized PrimoPick system for individual client needs; then worked with engineer to ensure successful installation at client sites.
ProductInfo, Inc., Plymouth, ND, 1979 to 1985
MEMBER, TECHNICAL STAFF
- Programmer in Process Systems Division, working on variety of projects for clients including US Postal Service, General Motors, and the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Developed sortation, factory-floor monitoring, and military communication and air traffic control systems. Involved in all project phases-analysis, design, programming, testing, debugging, and installation.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS & MILITARY
AB Degree in Applied Mathematics, University of North Dakota, Plymouth, ND, 1978
Member & FAA Certified Flight Instructor, 1979 to present
University of North Dakota Flying Club, Plymouth, ND
Petty Officer, 1st Class, U.S. Navy Reserves, 1973 to 1995
Airborne Anti-submarine Warfare Operator; held Secret Security Clearance