About this Sample Functional Resume for Customer Service Representative:
As you can see, this resume was written in the functional resume format. In today's job market, employers prefer not to receive functional resumes. But when Lionel (not his real name) wrote this resume back in the 1990s, it was a common format and often used by job seekers to disguise work history problems.
Let's take a look at this resume to see what we can learn about how it was put together.
- Temporary and short-term jobs are tucked away in the concise Work History section at the end of the resume. This was done to take the spotlight off Lionel's job-hopping problem.
- A career change was being made, so there are skill headings in the Relevant Experience section. These bold headings make it clear (in a glance at his resume) that Lionel has the desired skill sets for his new career in customer service.
- Unemployed. Notice how Lionel's current unemployment is downplayed by having it listed under Work History instead of in the Experience section.
- No college degree was listed under Education and Certifications because Lionel didn't get one. But he has good coursework and certs listed to show that he's a trained job seeker.
Want to see how this functional resume would look in a combination resume format? See Combination Resume Sample: Customer Service Representative.
From the Collection of Resume Examples
Lionel's resume was created using a resume template from Susan Ireland's Ready-Made Resumes.
Here's the Plain Text version, formatted according to How to Upload and Email Your Resume.
123 Larimie Avenue, Missoula, MT 12345
OBJECTIVE: Customer Service Representative
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
** Expert knowledge and abilities in written communication.
** A patient listener who fully focuses on speakers and understands a variety of accents.
** Organized and detail-oriented; knack for understanding procedures and logistics.
** Strong skills in time management, prioritizing tasks, and meeting deadlines.
Communication & People Skills:
** Consistently maintain a positive attitude and enjoy helping people.
** Articulate and very effective working with people of different backgrounds and temperaments.
** Accurately record, remember, and verbally communicate detailed information.
** Exceptional command of the English language with strong written and transcription skills.
** Cooperatively work with others to produce and deliver required work.
Organization & Time Management:
** A problem solver who quickly grasps complex situations and turns them into manageable tasks.
** Produce quality work even when under extreme time pressure and deadlines.
** Proven ability to understand and follow complex instructions to successful conclusions.
** Many years of experience successfully managing and organizing personal time and workload.
** Collaborate in teams to produce quality reports.
** Very accurate and rapid keyboarder.
** Experienced in editing and proofreading lengthy documents with focus on word definitions, spelling, sentence structure, syntax, and grammar.
** Work with technical vocabularies from a variety of fields.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Academy of Stenographic Arts, Missoula, MT, 1984-85
Missoula College of Court Reporting, Missoula, MT, 1981-84
Certified Shorthand Reporter, State of Montana, 1985-pres.
Registered Professional Reporter, National Court Reporters Association, 1985-pres.
** Court Stenographer, State of Montana, 1985-pres.
- Beverly Reporting Associates, 1999-04
- Louis Lane & Associates, 1997-99
- Missoula Court Reporters, 1997
- Central Mountain Reporters, 1993-97
- Lenna & Marshal, 1990-93
- Peter & Rehman, 1985-90