About This Sample Functional Resume for the Holistic Health and Beauty Field — Client Relations, Sales, Office Management:
To make a slight career change, Laura (not her real name) used the functional resume format. This resume was first written back in the 1990s, when functional resumes were often used for career change. But things have changed, and functional resumes are no longer welcomed by employers. In today's job market, a combination resume format would be much better. (See Combination Resume Sample: Holistic Health and Beauty Field.)
Let's take a look at this functional resume to see what we can learn from it:
- Job Objective statement helps the reader see what type of career change Laura wants.
- Profile section starts with a bullet point statement that's almost a personal career statement. It speaks to Laura's experience and passion — both will be valued by an employer in her field.
- Achievement statements are grouped under skill headings in the Selected Accomplishments section of her resume. This tells the employer in a glance that Laura has the skills required for her new job.
From the Collection of Resume Examples
This resume and many others in our resume example collection were created with resume templates from Susan Ireland's Ready-Made Resumes.
This resume was written or critiqued by one of the resume writers on Susan Ireland's Resume Team. You can learn how to write a great resume for your job search by going to 10 Steps: How to Write a Resume.
Here's the Plain Text version of this resume.
LAURA J. THOMAS
123 Brandywine Avenue
San Francisco, CA 12345
A position in the holistic health and beauty field, with an emphasis on client relations, sales, and office management
- 10 years' experience offering outstanding service to diverse clients, with a lifelong passion for holistic healing and a keen interest in beauty products and services that enhance a balanced lifestyle.
- Excellent telephone and in-person skills; able to quickly establish rapport with clients, identify needs, and match them with appropriate resources.
- Skilled in persuasive sales techniques; able to convey information with creativity and sincerity, consistently winning new business.
- Highly organized, efficient, and energetic; able to create office systems that improve workflow and enhance the overall environment.
Communication & Client Relations
- Welcomed clients at the Tea Garden Spa and scheduled appointments for massage, facials, salt scrubs, herbal wraps, hot tub and sauna.
- Performed additional daily front desk operations at the Tea Garden Spa, including office organization, payment processing, and consultation with health practitioners.
- Acted as primary contact for Wilderness Adventures clients, responding to a high volume of calls, scheduling travel packages, and invoicing.
- Maintained daily contact with outside contractors to discuss sales and marketing strategies, improve quality, and generate additional business for Wilderness Adventures and the Tea Garden Spa.
Sales & Marketing
- Top sales producer for Pacific trips at Wilderness Adventures, consistently increasing sales revenue each year.
- Conducted competitor studies and analyzed market pricing structures. Consulted with Wilderness Adventures president and presented findings to marketing team, recommending improvements to annual catalogue.
- Generated new business through incentive programs, mass mailings, cold calling, and referrals from previous Tea Garden Spa clients.
Management & Administration
- Supervised and trained the Tea Garden Spa support staff, oversaw departmental operations, and delegated tasks to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Checked chemicals and pH balance at the Tea Garden Spa facilities to ensure proper levels for client safety and comfort.
- Coordinated complex logistics for hundreds of international adventure travel packages, servicing up to 12 Wilderness Adventures clients per trip.
1998-pres., Pacific Operations Manager
WILDERNESS ADVENTURES, Seattle, WA
1995-98, Front Desk Manager
THE TEA GARDEN SPA, Tiburon, CA
EDUCATION & TRAINING
C.M.T. (Certified Massage Therapist), McKinnon Institute, Oakland, CA, 2002
B.A., Theater Arts, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA, 1998
Computer skills include: WordPerfect 5.0 & 6.1, Quattro Pro, Excel, and Internet.