About This Sample Functional Resume for a Generalist in Human Resources:
Here's a sample resume for a Generalist in Human Resources. It was first written in the 1990s in the functional resume format because, at the time, functional resumes were an effective way for career changers to highlight their transferable skills.
When I updated this resume, I very easily converted it to a combination resume format. I did this because most employers today do not accept functional resumes — they often don't even read them. To see why the combination format is better, please look closely at the functional resume below. Then go to Combination Resume Sample: Human Resources Generalist and see how much better it is in the combination resume format.
Here's what worked with this functional resume (below):
- Career change. This career changer wanted to highlight his transferable skills by creating subheadings under the Relevant Experience section. The transferable skill headings help David (not his real name) redefine his experience so it markets him for his new career.
- Current employer at top. Because his relevant experience came from one place of employment, he listed that employer at the top of the Relevant Experience section. That employer is listed again in his Work History section.
- Promotions. Within his Work History section he mentioned his promotions very concisely. This tells his reader in a glance that he's an achiever who is loyal to his employer.
- Dates under Education. By not putting dates next to his degrees under Education, he avoided showing his age.
From the Collection of Resume Examples
The following resume is one in a large collection of resume examples on this site. Many of them were created using resume templates from Susan Ireland's Ready-Made Resumes.
This resume was either written or reviewed by a professional resume writer on Susan Ireland's Resume Team. If you would like to learn more resume writing tips, please see 10 Steps: How to Write a Resume.
Here's the Plain Text version of this resume.
123 Seacliff Way
San Francisco, CA 12345
A generalist position in Human Resources
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
* Four years' experience performing Human Resources duties: administration, supervision, employee service, employee counseling, training, budgets.
* Resourceful and detail-oriented; skilled problem-solver and multi-tasker.
* Effectively balance employee needs with company policy.
At Corporate Mobility Services, Inc.
* Collaborated with human resources managers, recruiters and hiring managers to generate offer letters and individual employee benefits packages.
* Created and oversaw relocation programs for corporate clients such as Crimson Computer and Argyle Hotels.
- Planned and developed budgets.
- Designed policies tailored to client needs.
- Audited and tracked expenses, added tax gross-up and oversaw reimbursement.
* Coordinated relocation benefits for transferring or newly hired employees, including:
- Budget planning
- Home marketing
- Home sale buyout
- Travel coordination
- Temporary housing
- Permanent housing
- Household goods shipment
- Tax assistance
- Expense reimbursement
* Facilitated a monthly Round Table to identify and resolve department problems.
* Provided extensive on-the-job training and attentive supervision to a troubled employee, which resulted in the employee's success as an empowered and accountable team member.
* Member of the National Reward and Recognition Team, which implemented monthly recognition of employee excellence.
* Ensured that relocating employees -- from entry-level staff to high-level executives -- could function productively in their new positions by assuring that their immediate relocation needs were satisfied.
- Counseled employees on maximizing their relocation benefits and budget.
- Managed individual relocation packages according to company policy.
* Guaranteed that employees received their expense reimbursements in an accurate and timely manner through expense tracking and tax assistance.
* Received 100% satisfaction rating by relocating employees.
2000-present, Corporate Mobility Services, Inc.
Relocation Specialist (2002-present), Walnut Creek, CA
Associate Relocation Specialist (2000-2001), Danbury, CT
1993-2000, Connecticut Telecommunications, Richfield, CT
Client Relations Representative
Master of Business Administration with emphasis on Human Resources, Yale University, New Haven, CT; and University of Maastricht, Netherlands
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, Yale University, New Haven, CT
ESL Tutor, Literacy Volunteers of America, New Haven, CT
* Identified individualized and group training needs for adults for whom English was a second language.
Mentor, New Haven School System, New Haven, CT
* Provided guidance for a young person facing learning and family challenges.