About This Sample Chronological Resume for an Administrative Assistant:
Here's a resume sample for an Administrative Assistant, which handles some tricky work history issues pretty smoothly. Take a look.
In this resume sample we see some good ways to downplay red flags and assure the reader that Emma (not her real name) is a steady job seeker. Here's what you won't want to miss about how this resume was put together.
- Job Objective statement. Some experts question the use of a job objective statement on a resume. Here's a case where the objective statement is key. Why? Because without it, the reader is left wondering what kind of job this job seeker wants. Without an objective statement, the reader might wrongly assume that Emma wants something in project management, which was what she did in her most recent job.
- Current unemployment. Due to her mother's death, Emma was unemployed when she wrote her resume. Notice how she explains that with the job title, Family Estate Management, and the bullet point statement right under that title.
- Other gaps of unemployment. Emma had two other employment gaps that she filled: Project Management Certification Program in 2011 and Full-time caregiver of elderly parent, 2008-2010. With these entries, Emma tells the employer that she has good character and has used her free time to advance her career.
- Short-term jobs. Notice Emma's two short-term jobs in 2008. She wrote "contract with so-and-so" after each one to show that these were temp jobs through an agency.
- Community Service section. This section is really important for Emma to have on her resume. It shows, once again, that she has good character and likes to stay busy working, even if that work is unpaid.
From the Collection of Resume Examples
This resume example is based on one of the professional resume templates from my Ready-Made Resume Builder.
After Emma wrote her resume, she sent it to one of the members of Susan Ireland's Resume Team for a resume review. You can write your resume by following 10 Steps: How to Write a Resume. Then, if you want us to review it for you, we'd be happy to help.