Here's a chronological resume sample for an administrative position in a university setting. This job seeker has a long background in her field, so long that she's worried about age discrimination. Take a look at how she tries to avoid that issue on her resume.
About This Sample Chronological Resume for an Administrative Position in a University Setting
Ginga (not her real name) is using her resume to make a vertical career move. I'd like to point out a few things on her resume.
- Chronological resume format. Ginga used the chronological resume format because it highlights her strong and relevant work history. In fact, the chronological format she chose highlights the dates by listing them on the left where the reader can easily see them.
- Job Objective statement. Ginga wrote a clear Job Objective statement near the top of her resume because she wanted her reader to know that although she hasn't worked in a university or college setting for many years, she now wants to get back into that environment.
- Summary statement. Notice how the first Summary statement (10 years of administrative experience in educational settings) builds a bridge between Ginga's most recent job and her job objective.
- Languages. The last Summary statement helps show that Ginga will fit into a multicultural workplace where many languages are spoken.
- Dates and age. Ginga is concerned about age discrimination, so she chose not to list dates in her Education section. Those dates might have tipped off the employer about her being an older job seeker.
- Shortened work history. Here's another way Ginga avoided age discrimination: She didn't list her entire job history, which would have given away her age. Instead, she listed only her three most recent jobs, all of which are relevant to her job objective.
- Education section at the end. Ginga placed her Education section at the end of her resume because her degrees are not relevant to her job objective.
From the Collection of Resume Examples
Ginga's resume and most of the resume examples in this collection were created using the resume templates from my Ready-Made Resume Builder.
Here's the Plain Text version of Ginga's resume.
123 Alhambra Street, #2
San Francisco, CA 12345
An Administrative position within a university setting
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
- 10 years of administrative experience in educational settings; particular skill in establishing rapport with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Highly organized and efficient in fast-paced multitasking environments; able to prioritize effectively to accomplish objectives with creativity, enthusiasm and humor.
- Computer skills include: MS Word, Excel, Raiser's Edge and Internet applications.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish and Portuguese.
2001-pres., Educational Resources, Inc., Oakland, CA
SENIOR CLIENT ASSOCIATE
- Supported Director in the design, development and implementation of services to maintain client satisfaction and organizational efficiency.
- Answered queries regarding course registration, membership and general information, and resolved client concerns in a dynamic environment.
- Developed innovative coding system to simplify tracking of financial transactions. Performed monthly financial reconciliations and submitted reports to senior management.
- Utilized Raiser's Edge database program to manage both membership and financial information for over 6,000 clients.
- Trained and supervised both permanent and temporary staff. Created and coordinated work schedule to ensure coverage and smooth office operations.
1999-01, Oakland Unified School District, Oakland, CA
PARAPROFESSIONAL / RESOURCE SPECIALIST
- Taught mathematics and physics to special needs students of diverse backgrounds. Developed creative and interactive curriculum to foster fun in learning.
1995-99, Emerson College, Boston, MA
COORDINATOR, STUDENT OF COLOR RECRUITMENT
- Designed and implemented programs which encouraged high school girls of color to apply and matriculate into college.
- Established and maintained collaborative efforts with other universities, high schools, churches, agencies and parents to recruit students.
Ph.D. Candidate, Ethnic Studies, University of California, Berkeley, CA
B.A., Mathematics, Radcliffe College, Cambridge, MA