About This Sample Functional Resume for Administrative Assistant, Client Relations/Customer Service:
Here is a sample functional resume for an Administrative Assistant with a focus on Client Relations and Customer Service. It was first written in the 1990s when functional resumes were more common than they are today.
In fact, if Elizabeth (not her real name) asked my advice about what resume format to use today, I would advise her to use the combination resume format instead of this functional format. (See Combination Resume Sample: Administrative, Client Relations.) That's because today most employers don't like functional resumes — they suspect the job seeker is hiding something by putting the job history at the end.
Since we have this functional resume sample, let's look it over to see what we can learn from it.
- Employer headings under the skill headings in the body of Elizabeth's resume tell her reader where her achievements took place. This takes some of the work off the employer's shoulders, although it's still a chore to cross-check her employment info with the Professional Experience at the bottom of the page.
- Achievement statements are in order of how well they support Elizabeth's job objective, not in the order in which they happened. That's because in a functional resume they are listed under skill headings without dates, so they don't have to be in chronological order.
- There's no college degree listed because Elizabeth didn't get one. And, she didn't have any classes or training to list either, so she left off the Education section altogether.
From the Collection of Resume Examples
This resume and others in the collection of resume examples were made using resume templates from my Ready-Made Resume Builder.
Here's the Plain Text version of this sample resume.
123 Turnley Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 12345
OBJECTIVE: An Administrative position focusing on Client Relations/Customer Service
* More than 10 years' administrative experience in diverse business settings.
* A highly organized and friendly professional, able to establish long-term, positive and fun relationships with clients, co-workers and outside resources.
* Skilled in working independently and as an enthusiastic team player.
Organization & Administration
For George Johnson
* Prepared office for daily appointments, including office opening, chart setup, financial arrangements and adequate supplies for staff and clients.
* Balanced daily revenue and expense sheets; issued monthly invoices to clients.
For Abigail Court
* Coordinated master calendar of personal and professional engagements, acting as liaison between author, publicist and booking agent for national appearances.
* Oversaw coordination of national book and television tours, performing troubleshooting, research and follow-through to ensure smooth scheduling.
* Maintained office systems for AR/AP, file organization and time-sensitive project management.
Communication & Client Relations
For George Johnson
* Greeted up to 20 clients per day, cultivating rapport and smooth communication with each one.
* Created and maintained a cohesive and productive work environment, ensuring timeliness and efficiency of five-person staff.
For Abigail Court
* Responded to a high volume of telephone inquiries with friendliness and professionalism, referring callers to information-packed Web site and other appropriate resources.
* Worked with The Home Shopping Channel, Rosie O'Donnell Show and PBS to ensure on-time delivery of press releases and promotional materials for Abigail's guest appearances.
2001-pres., Administrative Assistant, ABIGAIL COURT - AUTHOR, Palo Alto, CA
1995-01, Office Manager, GEORGE JOHNSON, DDS, Palo Alto, CA