One of my top resume Summary tips: Use the first Summary statement of your resume to strongly suggest your career objective.
A "career objective" statement of this type can be used as an alternative to the standard job objective statement. Or, it can be used in addition to a job objective statement to underscore the focus of your job search.
Note, if you're making a career change, a career objective Summary statement may not work. Instead, write a statement that speaks about your relevant qualifications.
Two Types of "Career Objective" Summary Statements
If you have experience in the line of work you want to do next, use one of the following two types of Summary career objective statements. In the your Summary statement:
- State your professional title (which you've earned through experience, education, or training), along with a few relevant points such as how much experience you have or areas you specialize in.
- State your area of expertise if you don't have a professional title but you have experience or training in the field of your career objective.
For help figuring out what to write for your Summary statements, use my brainstorming techniques in How to Write Your Summary of Qualifications. And, keep reading here to see what other career professionals have written.
Sample Resume Summary Statements About Career Objectives
Each of the following sample Summary statements strongly suggests the job seeker's career objective. They come from 28 different resumes.
- Executive Administrative Assistant with over 10 years of experience providing thorough and skillful support to senior executives.
- Experienced Administrative Assistant, successful in project management and systems administration.
- 10 years of administrative experience in educational settings; particular skill in establishing rapport with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ten years as an administrative support professional in a corporation that provides confidential case work.
- A highly organized and detail-oriented Executive Assistant with over 15 years' experience providing thorough and skillful administrative support to senior executives.
- More than 20 years as a knowledgeable and effective psychologist working with individuals, groups, and facilities, with particular emphasis on geriatrics and the multiple psychopathologies within that population.
- Ten years as a sales professional with management experience in the fashion industry.
- More than 6 years as a librarian, with 15 years' experience as an active participant in school-related events and support organizations.
- Energetic sales professional with a knack for matching customers with optimal products and services to meet their specific needs. Consistently received excellent feedback from customers.
- More than six years of senior software engineering experience, with strong analytical skills and a broad range of computer expertise.
- Software Developer/Programmer with history of productivity and successful project outcomes.
- More than 10 years' experience as a technical instructor. Skills include:
Individual and Group Training
- Experienced Sales Engineer with over three years' IT industry experience.
- Five years of project management experience in software implementation and web portal launches. Demonstrated track record of successfully managing small to large projects from start to finish.
- Four years' program management experience in the automotive industry.
- Eleven years of experience as a highly organized Broadcast Engineer; effective at multitasking and working under pressure to accomplish overall objectives.
- Two strong years in supply chain improvement, and nearly ten years in purchasing, inventory management, supply chain analysis, and sales.
- An experienced investment associate with more than three years in venture capital investing for a global communications technology company.
- Seven years in finance management for organizations ranging from $30M-100M.
- A creative organizational development consultant with more than two years' experience in diverse workplace environments.
- Experienced in Nuclear Medicine Technology procedure/protocol administration, equipment utilization, and efficient operations.
- Over five years of experience in Marketing Communications, with a strong visual sense, excellent writing skills, and the ability to translate marketing ideas and design concepts across all organizational levels.
- Four years' experience performing Human Resources duties: administration, supervision, employee service, employee counseling, training, budgets.
- More than 10 years in IT Management, including strategic direction, budget preparation, vendor relationships, and planning and operation of Data Centers.
- Over 10 years' experience as a Senior Operations Manager in the insurance industry, with emphasis on improving efficiency, productivity and organizational consistency.